Major Concentration in Creative Writing
The Concentration in Creative Writing does not change graduating requirements for students majoring in English, but is a prerequisite for honors with a focus in creative writing.
For students prior to and including the Class of 2022, the Concentration conists of four courses taken as part of an English major plan of study as follows:
- Students must pass one prerequisite course, CRWT 10 (formerly ENGL 80), CRWT 11 (formerly ENGL 81, or CRWT 12 (formerly ENGL 82).
- Students then enroll in one intermediate course, CRWT 20 (formerly ENGL 83), CRWT 21 (formerly ENGL 84), or CRWT 22 (formerly ENGL 85).
- The third course can be chosen from any Creative Writing course numbered between CRWT 10 and 89 (formerly ENGL 80-ENGL 89); (substitute courses from other departments will be considered).
- The fourth course can be in any genre of contemporary literature or another course numbered between
CRWT 10 and 89 (formerly ENGL 80-ENGL 89); (again, substitute courses from other departments will be considered).
Students who elect to do Honors in Creative Writing can use CRWT 98 (or ENGL 98 for class years up to 2018) for either the third or fourth course in the concentration.
For students in the Class of 2023 and beyond, the Concentration consists of four courses taken as part of an English major plan of study as follows:
1. One introductory course, CRWT 10, CRWT 11, or CRWT 12. (Only one introductory creative writing course may count toward the Concentration in Creative Writing.)
2. One intermediate course, CRWT 20, CRWT 21, or CRWT 22.
3. One course from the range of creative writing special topics seminars, CRWT 40 and CRWT 41. (Substitute courses with a focus on creative writing from other departments may be considered. Please consult with the Director of Creative Writing.)
4. One advanced workshop, CRWT 60, CRWT 61, or CRWT 62. The advanced workshop is a requirement for the completion of the Concentration in Creative Writing.