English Major Details for '17s and Beyond

To file for a major in English, you must meet with one of the English Department faculty to discuss major requirements and complete your major card. Please fill out three major cards. You must give one signed major card, and the worksheet that accompanies it, to the English Department administrator in 202 Sanborn, one signed major card to the registrar's office, and keep the third card for your records.

For those of you filing electronically (16s and beyond):

In order to officially file for a major/minor in English, you must meet with one of the English Department faculty to discuss major/minor requirements and get faculty approval.

In addition, you must fill out a major/minor worksheet, have your faculty advisor sign the worksheet, and then give the signed worksheet to the English Department administrator in 202 Sanborn.

Detailed Information

The Major in English requires the successful completion of eleven major courses.

  1. The courses must satisfy the following distribution requirements according to the Course Groups, listed below: at least 2 courses from Group I; at least 2 courses from Group II; at least 1 course from Group III; at least 1 course from Group IV.
  2. Two courses must be selected from the Literary Histories (ENGL 1, 2, 3).  Each of these courses may be used to satisfy one of the Course Group requirements.
  3. One course must be a Junior Colloquium (ENGL 61-65). This course may also satisfy one of the Course Group requirements.
  4. One course must be a Senior Seminar (71-75). This course can also be used to satisfy any of the Course Group requirements.
  5. One course must be designated as satisfying the Culminating Experience Requirement.  This may be a Senior Seminar or, in the case of students seeking a degree with Honors, the first term of ENGL 98. The Culminating Experience course must be taken and completed after the sophomore-junior summer term.

Concentration in Creative Writing

Students electing a concentration in Creative Writing must pass the prerequisite course, ENGL 80, ENGL 81, or ENGL 82 prior to enrolling in any other Creative Writing course.  The concentration consists of four courses. Courses satisfying this concentration must include:

One course selected from ENGL 83, ENGL 84, ENGL 85.

A second course selected from ENGL 80, ENGL 81, ENGL 82, ENGL 83, ENGL 84, ENGL 85, ENGL 87; or, an approved colloquium or topics course in English with a significant writing component; or, an approved course in another department with a workshop orientation (e.g., FILM 33, Writing for the Screen I; THEA 50, Playwriting I; ENVS 72, Nature Writers); or, a senior project (ENGL 89 or 98).

A course in contemporary poetry, prose, prose nonfiction, or drama in the English Department, or any other course within the English Department carrying the CW tag, or a creative writing course offered by another department.

Note: Students must be admitted to one of the Creative Writing intermediate courses (83,84,85) before they can elect the Creative Writing concentration.  Students may not elect the minor in the Creative Writing concentration until they have been admitted to 83, 84, or 85.  A writing sample is required with the application to 83, 84, or 85.

Things to remember

Students electing the major in English should bear in mind the following:

  1. Transfer credits normally cannot be used in the major. Students wishing to be granted an exception must petition the CDC (Committee on Departmental Curriculum). If approval is granted, transfer courses are subject to the rules that apply to substitute courses.
  2. Two substitute courses (appropriate major courses from other departments at Dartmouth) are permitted within the major. Normally, substitute courses cannot satisfy the Course Group requirements.
  3. No substitute courses may satisfy the Culminating Experience requirement.
  4. To become an English major, students must consult with a professor to plan their courses.  Students formally elect the major in English by submitting a proposed plan of courses—a completed major card and worksheet—to their major advisor. The major advisor’s signature constitutes admission to the major. Students must meet with their major advisor a second time in the last term of the junior year or the first term of the senior year in order to review their major plan.